PRIME Fitness Hamstring/Quad Destruction
by …destination trainer Craig LeBlanc
We are going to begin with the hamstring blast on the PRIME Fitness Prone Leg Curl. We’ll use the design of the PRIME equipment to our advantage by creating maximum tension throughout the entire range of motion. We will be moving quickly, this workout should take no more than 10 minutes total!
- Put 1 25lb or 35lb plate on the lowest loading bar (you use a 10lb if you’re gassed or you haven’t spent much time building up your hamstrings)
- For the lowest bar setting, I want you up on your elbows; this will help us to shorten the hamstrings prior to the movement, essentially focusing even greater tension on the contraction. Perform 10 reps, then have your training partner add another plate to the bar. The only rest here is while the plate is being loaded. Once it is in place, perform 10 more reps.
- Repeat this process until you have three plates on the lowest bar.
- After you have completed 3 sets here, lay all the way down to the prone position and move one plate to the middle bar. Perform 10 more reps. Repeat this process, moving one plate up to the middle bar at a time until all three plates are in place.
- Perform 10 reps with all three plates on the middle loading bar, then have your partner move one plate to the top loading bar. Repeat this process until you have moved all plates to the top loading bar.
- When all the plates are on the high bar, perform 10 reps, pull one plate off, then do 10 more reps and repeat until you reach the last plate! Once you have on plate remaining, perform 10 full reps, then proceed to do as many partial reps from the full stretch to halfway up position until failure.
Now, mentally prepare yourself for the quad fun on the PRIME Fitness Leg Extension.
FOR AN EXTRA INSANE PUMP: I would like you to perform this entire
exercise wearing Blood Flow-Restriction Bands around the top of your
- Put a 25lb, 35lb,or 45lb plate on the lowest loading bar (SETTING 2). Perform 10 reps, then have your training partner add another plate to the lowest loading bar. Repeat this process until you have three plates on the lowest loading bar. I want you to focus on squeezing the peak contraction hard on each and every rep. Starting to sense a pattern here?
- Once you have completed the 10 reps with three plates on the low bar, move one plate up to the middle loading bar (in the same fashion as we performed the prone hamstring curl) Repeat this process until you have moved all three plates to the middle loading bar.
- Perform 10 reps with all plates on the middle loading bar, then have your partner move one plate to the top loading bar. Repeat this process until you have moved all 3 plates to the top loading bar.
- This is where we’re going to have fun. At this point you should be feeling a super pump and struggling to get a full extension Have your partner give light help if needed. Remember, the muscles are strongest in the lengthened
position, so when all the weight is on the top bar we’ll be lifting all the weight with the strongest part of the muscle. The beginning of the motion will be incredibly difficult, but you need to power through and contract at the top of the motion for full effect. Perform 10 reps with all three plates on the top bar, then have your partner drop a plate off and perform 10 more reps. Once you get to the last plate, perform as many reps as you can until you reach failure. Then, complete partial reps from a dead stop at the bottom of the movement to halfway until you reach failure again!
Once you’re done, I recommend asking your partner to help you stand up, and I’d also recommend taking the ramp back to your car when you leave the gym for the day! Try it out and let us know what you think!